5 Places in Bulgaria That You Should Visit Besides Sofia
Sofia is a great travel destination with interesting historical sites and impressive cultural heritage. However, besides its capital city, Bulgaria has several other tourist destinations that are worth the trip. Which are the most remarkable highlights of the country that you should include in your next visit?
1. The town of Vidin is positioned in the northwestern part of Bulgaria, being set between two neighboring countries, with Danube River beautifully flowing along. A must-see place in Vidin is the fortress Baba Vida dating back to the 10th century, the Synagogue and the Mosque, all located within walking distance from each other, in the town park. Close to Vidin are also to be seen Magurata cave and Belogradchik Rocks.
2. The town of Plovdiv – this is the culture center of the country. The city hosts many concerts, theatrical performances, art exhibitions. Truly impressive is the Old Town, as well as the Amphitheatre dating back many centuries ago.
3. The Seven Rila Lakes – it is believed that these lakes have very special, healing atmosphere and energy. They are all breathtakingly beautiful and deserve the climbing. In the area is also located Rila Monastery, which is included in UNESCO world heritage list.
4. The town of Veliko Tarnovo – once a capital of Bulgaria, today the town has a nicely kept fortress, lovely cobbled stone streets, and interesting historical sites. Veliko Tarnovo is a University town with many students, lively clubs and nice pubs.
5. The Black Sea seaside – the entire coast of Bulgaria is worth to be visited, starting from Kaliakra cape down to the town of Kavarna and the town of Balchik with its Botanical Garden, the resorts of Golden Sands and Albena, the sea capital Varna, the towns of Nessebar and Sozopol and the port town of Bourgas and down to the small resort of Ahtopol. In addition to the fine sand and warm sea water, the Black Sea resorts further offer many historical and cultural sites.